Saturday, December 22, 2007

Kitchen Experiment - Making Chapati


It's been a while since I wanted to make chapati (roshi). When ever I think about it, I get the feeling that it would be too difficult and I would mess up. I sort of did. hehe...I'm gonna tell you about it. Today, I decided to see how it goes. Within this week, I enquired a few of my friends about the procedure. Let's see how I did it.

I put plain flour into a medium sized mixing bowl. Then I made a hole in the middle, and put some cooking oil, little bit of salt, and hot water. I started kneading with one hand, added more water and continued. I was afraid that I would mess it by adding more water. Hehe... But it was dry and hard to knead, so I added more and more water. Finally I got the right feel; it got smooth and pliable (more dough like). Done with kneading, I divided it into ping-pong sized balls (just 6, not much).

Ready for rolling now. I didn't have have a rolling pin or a board. How disappointing huh? I forgot to buy it the other day, and didn't go shopping today. It's time for improvisation. Using a can of baked beans as rolling pin and a baking tray as rolling surface, I started. I had to dust the surface of baking tray, so that the dough wouldn't stick and would be easy to flatten. It was a difficult job. People don't use cans as rolling pins (now they do, :P); it was too short. Took me about 15-20 minutes to roll out 6 roshi. A few of them were in good shape, while others were shaped as some obscure country on the map.

Cooking it wasn't hard not to mention that I overcooked some. Hehe... I enjoyed the dinner so much; roshi, baked beans (with tuna) and black tea. So homely meal, I savoured every mouthful. Well, roshi was a bit hard (not rock hard...hehe), stiff, thick and difficult to eat. I enjoyed making it and I'll do a lot better next time. I hope I wouldn't forget to buy the rolling pin or else I might end up using a pen next time. hehe.. A good experience and definitely an add-on to my menu.

 

Cheers!!!

-Hammett-

6 comments:

  1. yo bro.. nice try.. hehe.. next time try farata and stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  2. well for someone who could only eat from food garden salsa city garden dine more you sounds pretty desperate.........hehehe try hope i dont have to take you to those places when you comeback...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehe... maybe u're right.. this is a change.. at least, i hope so...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay try some more and we'll talk about u becoming a great cook and an IT guy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hehe.. very mucha gud try.. u followed it quiet well.. better bingo chapatis next time

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why not try grinding the wheat yourself, if you have a hand powered mill? Here are some pictures of me doing that on my blog: http://mangosoup.blogspot.com/2009/08/making-chapatis-with-home-ground-wheat.html

    Honestly, it's not that difficult, and the resulting taste is divine.

    ReplyDelete

Suggestions and criticism are appreciated