Tuesday, January 8, 2008

FACEBOOK – Application Requests – Could it be considered spam?

I’ve being away from Facebook for about 2 days or less. Not because I got fed up with that, I’m a bit busy with assignments and exams these days, so trying to disallow it from distracting me. I’m very distraction-prone. :-S.

Anyway, I logged-in to Facebook to see what’s going on there. To my surprise, I had more than 80 invitations for different applications built on Facebook, of course, from my friends, and more than 100 notifications. That’s all within 36 hours or less. I’m mostly have Facebook open, and do whatever I do with requests as soon as I get it.


I don’t add or join most of these applications. There are several thousand applications on Facebook platform. How can one person possibly have all those applications? I don’t want to keep these requests unattended and have to go through the hassle of clicking ‘ignore... ignore... ignore...’ every time. For a single application, there could be requests from 10, 20 or more friends and each would be separate. Couldn’t Facebook, group all requests for each application, so that it would be convenient for the user to either add or ignore the requests with one click. How much time could we save?


Recently, they have grouped the application requests shown on the home page; 5 facelift request, 100 kick-my-a** requests, 1000 other requests. It’s a good improvement. Prior to that, there’d be a long list of requests on the right- sidebar of your home page.


Could it be considered SPAM? Some of the applications wouldn’t allow you to use it unless you invite at least 20 of your friends. “You did not invite enough friends. You must invite 17 more friends”. What the heck!! They are forcing you to invite. They are pushing you to send spam. Some of the applications have a ‘skip’ button in the invitations page, that’s a good thing. I don’t know. Maybe I’m exaggerating. I was clearing up the requests and maybe the irritating ‘right-clicks’ made me write about this.


Is there a better way Facebook could handle this? There are quite lot privacy settings for most of the applications, and the default settings would allow these applications to access your data. These settings can be restricted, but average user won’t be aware of it. Is this a concern? I have got too many questions today, isn’t it? Seriously, we should be aware of Facebook and what's really going on behind it. It's growing rapidly, with hundreds of thousand of new users daily. A lot could happen there. Consider this one of the few warnings!!


Well I’m so busy these days. I’ve being working on an assignment lately; due this week. And got 2 exams coming up next week and I haven’t started reading for that yet. So, doesn’t get much time to do anything else. I might be a little less frequent in updating this, and visiting all of your blogs. Sorry about that! I would be hosting a BIG party here on this blog after my exams... :P

Cheers!

Hammett

Image taken from here.

25 comments:

  1. Well i personally prefer orkut over facebook although orkut is also equally bad :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never used orkut.. guess you're right.. it's the same everywhere.. hehe.. thanks for visiting... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like neither of em :) Im just a blogger hehe.

    Keshi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. keshi - lucky u.. u don't have to worry abt it then... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok now i feel lucky not to hve time to join facebook...hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. social networkin begins to suck coz of all such stupid applications n updates...but i wonder y cant most of us still live withou em!!
    anyhw gudluck fo examz:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. social networkin begins to suck coz of all such stupid applications n updates...but i wonder y cant most of us still live withou em!!
    anyhw gudluck fo examz:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1644040,00.html
    complain it to the ceo of facebook hehe

    ReplyDelete
  10. elk - you maybe lucky, but you might be missing some interesting stuff as well.. ;)

    gung - yeah.. still we're so addicted to that.. thanks.. cheers!! :)

    Born Free - Thanks for the link... nice interview.. you know what i like in the guy. His interest and commitment to what he's doing, and his dreams.. Could be the next Bill Gates.. ??? hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I find Facebook very overwhelming. Way too much stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  12. heeh nice dude..ur quite right..btw can i get my blog add on ur list? u seem to have a good audience...thanks for the comments..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nessa - Yea.. I'm sick all those new applications as well.. most of them are useless, though there are some real good ones... cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fenfulhangi - thanks man.. No problem... would put u on the roll... cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yah quite true..
    It becomes quite tiresome when u have to go on clicking ignore for 20 or so application requests..
    And when u do visit a profile of someone who adds all these apps.. Mi Goodness.. the time it takes to load everything is like forever!! :s

    ReplyDelete
  16. hudhuhandhu - it's so tiresome.... i had abt 50 app requests lastnite... My profile is a mess... got so many crap on there.. which i don't even use at all... gotta clean up... heheh..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hmmm be careful dude,lot of fakers around!

    All the best for your exams :)

    Looking forward to the BIG party!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sameera - Yea.. it's going on to some extent.. there have been malware spreads within facebook...
    thanks a lot... just can't wait for this to be over... lookin forward to that.. cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Facebookster - Hmmm.. interesting..

    ReplyDelete
  20. ooh my my my that happens to me almost every single day i go on ignoring ignoring and it never stops!! arrgh i get so angry!

    ReplyDelete
  21. ikko - it's so annoying.. hopefully they'll do something about it sooner, or later.. we're seeing so many good changes... :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. i hate facebook for that, all these applications and you should send it to 20 friends at least. Well the whole idea isnt bad but should be controlled somehow :)
    Still believe orkut is the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. yea.. u're right... there r many problems with that yet.. guess they r improving...
    orkut is nice... both has its pros n cons... cheers!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I wish someone would send me a request like this.

    RequestBlocker is an app that lets you block requests from all but the applications you choose. A polite message will be sent to your friend stating that you do not use the app.

    ReplyDelete
  25. hehe... I can't wait to have an application like that.. i wanna block all those useless applications build solely for the purpose of ads... nice business strategy they've got though.. hehe.. cooL!!

    ReplyDelete

Suggestions and criticism are appreciated