Sunday, February 27, 2011

Do married people live longer than single people, or does it just SEEM longer?

I know! I know!!! I can't read your mind (clearly) but I know what you are thinking. This is the last thing I want to talk about. But, let's be honest. Single life is way cooler than married life. But as there is both sides to everything, it's the same with this topic.

The good things about single life is not something I can explore in detail here - better to write a book on it. Solitary fun is great. Flirt with anyone, anywhere you want and not be bothered about answering to anyone else. How do you enjoy living a carefree life, going fishing with your buddies without having to clear with someone else first. Theres plenty of time to do your own stuff, focus on your career and personal development when you are single. And, of course, your life is more stress free.

Married life is just the opposite. Though I haven't personally experienced "marriage" I have seen, observed and heard from many married men in addition to so much literature available on the Internet on this topic. So, I think I've got a basic picture of it. Of course, I agree with the good things in a marriage, being a couple and all. But, in a different perspective you loose a lot too. But, when you realize that, it's actually too late to undo for most people. Among some good things that come with the marriage package is having someone by your side, getting things done easily. Let's not dwell on that now :P.

Before I go tossing and turning around this topic, let me try to answer the real question. Do married people live longer than single people, or does it just seem longer. I believe that single life is longer whereas married life actually seems much much longer. This is very much a controversial issue and many if you would openly disagree with me, while some would agree in silence (dhethiki P), and others merely show it :). Some research shows that married people live longer, which maybe true to certain extent. That doesn't mean it's a fact. Being in the fine institution of marriage makes life a living hell (sometimes) for most people. Longing for the day to pass, when days feel like weeks, and wishing to live the single life you once had. Generally speaking, I'm sure it's not the same for everyone. Those who say that married life is actually longer says so based on the fact that (in most marriages) you are well taken care of resulting in a healthy life.

Enough of that. You might think that I don't believe in marriage. Let me tell you something. Oh no, I won't! Maybe later. But the truth is everyone misses single life after getting married. Thats why you got to really enjoy life while you are still young. After settling down there won't be enough time do the stuff you always wanted to do, but kept to do later.

Almost forgot. I have to do some ironing for tomorrow. LoL. Anyway, this is something worth pondering - I'll come back with more later on. In the meantime, this is open for all sorts of criticism :)

"A man in love is incomplete until he has married. Then he's finished". - Zsa Zsa Gabor

"He is his own best friend, and takes delight in privacy whereas the man of no virtue or ability is his own worst enemy and is afraid of solitude." - Aristotle

Cheers,
Hammett

3 comments:

  1. you will get your answer reading this
    http://www.jannah.org/sisters/marr.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. i do agree with this..

    ReplyDelete
  3. People come to me and say that now good posts are not available. Now I will give them link of this post. Surely, my step will change their thinking.

    ReplyDelete

Suggestions and criticism are appreciated